Many business deals are carried out on a ‘handshake agreement’ (a verbal agreement...
I am a Senior Associate Solicitor, Head of the Construction Team, and the Team Leader for the South Essex Dispute Resolution Team. Clients choose me for my pragmatic and commercial approach. I am easily accessible, and available for a free 15-minute chat over the phone on 01245 453827.
Clients also choose me for my personality and extensive experience in construction disputes and adjudications. I have advised clients in a range of construction and engineering projects of varying size and complexity, including acting for main contractors, sub-contractors, employers, construction professionals, public bodies and developers in real time project management, dispute avoidance, dealing with payment applications and the issue of contractual notices and in the resolution of all type of construction disputes.
My experience in dispute work includes acting on behalf of either referring or responding parties in over 200 construction adjudications, 7 of which were reported at enforcement stage, on a range of construction issues, including disputes under most standard forms of building contacts such as the JCT, NEC, ICE and FIDIC; payment disputes, delay and disruption claims; extension of time and loss and expense claims; defective designs and workmanship; final account and non-payment of retention disputes; and professional negligence claims.
I am a certified and accredited Construction Adjudicator and Arbitrator, practising and serving on the following panels of nomination bodies:
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) President's Panel of Adjudicators (LVD)
- Construction Industry Council (CIC) Panel of Adjudicators
- Hunt ADR - Arbitration Panel
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) Business Arbitration Panel
- UK Adjudicators - Construction Adjudicator's Panel and Low Value Disputes Adjudicators Panel
- Construction Plant-Hire Association’s (CPA) Adjudicators Panel
A solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales with Higher Court Rights of Audience (Civil Proceedings) and a practising barrister of the Supreme Court of Mauritius.
I am a Fellow Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an active member of the Society of Construction Law, the Adjudication Society and a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn. I am also a committee member of the King's College Construction Law Association.
When not working, I enjoy travelling and visiting new places of interest. I also enjoy cooking and football.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS:
- Qualified as a Solicitor in 2013
- MSc in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution, King’s College London
- Diploma in Adjudication in the Construction Industry Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
- Bar Vocational Course, The City Law School, City University
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) with Honours
What our clients say
Peter Allen is the standout partner. He thinks strategically and guides clients through complex disputes with great skill. He is always a pleasure to deal with. Suryen Nullatamby is an experienced associate who handles a number of his own cases. He has deep knowledge of construction disputes. Legal 500, 2023
The team is a good size with a range of experience at different levels. It is well-organised and focuses on client care. -Legal 500 2024