The Bill to reform divorce law was introduced to the House of Commons yesterday, on 13 June 2019. ...
I have wide experience of acting on behalf of both employer and employee although my practice now is predominantly in employer support. I am able to undertake all aspects of employment-related legal work from drafting contracts to representing clients at Employment Tribunals and Employment Appeal Tribunals.
I have a particular interest in taking a commercial approach and defending employers’ interests without unnecessary recourse to legal proceedings. In the fast moving and increasingly complicated field of employment law I aim to ensure that my clients are aware of and prepared for change. I am in demand as a trainer of staff and often speak at seminars and workshops updating employers on employment law changes.
I have wide experience of the employment issues affecting employers and employees in the construction industry. Acting on behalf of employers and, to a lesser extent, employees, I represent clients at Employment Tribunals and the Employment Appeal Tribunal. I have particular experience in the following construction industry related areas:
- Employment status including definition of worker, employee and self employed.
- Holiday pay entitlement including rolled up holiday pay schemes.
- Employment relations including union representation and collective agreements.
- Transfer of undertakings issues including acquisition and disposal, insourcing, service provision change and outsourcing.
- Redundancy, restructure and change management.
I am the Managing Partner at Birkett Long specialising in employment law since qualification as a solicitor in 1998.
I have specialist knowledge of construction industry issues, such as employment definitions, employment relations, TUPE, change management, redundancy and restructure.
QUALIFICATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Chair of Trustees MS-UK
- Member of 1st West Bergholt Scouts executive committee
- Member of Heathlands Primary School PTA
- Member of Friends of Hillhouse Wood
- Member and Committee member of the Colchester Association for the Protection of Property and the Prosecution of Thieves!
- Chair of Colchester Scout Band