With travel plans disrupted this summer, most employees will be hesitant to use their holiday...
Converting to Academy Status
Our Academies division, which forms part of Birkett Long's Education team has supported many schools converting to an Academy by managing the legal process. We also have experience in assisting multi academy trusts in bringing in new Academies and Single Academies joining a multi academy trust.
We offer a free initial consultation session, at your premises, to head teachers and governing bodies that are looking to convert their school to an Academy. We provide detailed guidance on the conversion process, the issues involved and the timescales over which the process runs. We also facilitate a question and answer session to assist you in helping you to make the right choices for your school.
With more than 2300 academies now open across England many schools are actively looking to convert to Academy Status to enjoy the benefits that can come from converting a school to academy status.
We recognise that non converted schools have much to think about at this time. This is where we can help.
We can assist your school through the entire process of converting to an academy from start to finish, providing advice as to all aspects of the conversion, including:
- The trustee’s new obligations.
- Parent consultation.
- Support with staff consultation and TUPE issues.
- How staff and their pensions should be considered.
- The funding agreements your school will need with the Department for Education.
- The asset transfer agreement involved with your local authority or diocese .
- The property issues and lease documents involved.
For information and support in relation to converting to an Academy contact Thomas Emmett.
- Thomas Emmett
- Associate Solicitor, Head of Education
- Martin Hopkins
- Managing Partner
- 01206 711369
- Keith Songhurst
- Partner, Head of South Essex Dispute Resolution Team
- 01206 711384
- Emma Wraight
- Partner, Head of Commercial Real Estate
- Cheryl Burness
- Executive Legal Support Assistant
What our clients say
Stephen's help and guidance were key to our academy conversion going so smoothly. He and his team went beyond what we would have expected and a huge thanks goes out to them!" Claire Stevens, School Business Manager at Perryfields Enterprise Academy Trust