Licensing Law

Licensing law is constantly evolving, making the drinks, hospitality and leisure industries challenging environments for existing businesses and new start ups. At Birkett Long, our licensing solicitors deal with all aspects of licensing matters, providing straightforward, commercial and practical advice on every occasion. Our licensing team also provides you with the support needed during every stage of a licensing matter.

You will need a licence (subject to certain exceptions) if you are:

  • Selling/supplying alcohol
  • A theatre or other venue where a play is performed
  • A cinema or other venue exhibiting a film or moving pictures
  • Hosting a sporting event (other than wrestling or boxing) that will take place indoors
  • Hosting boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • Hosting the performance of live music
  • Hosting the performance of dance
  • A hackney carriage taxi or private hire vehicle driver (for example, a mini-cab driver)
  • Taxi/private hire vehicle business owner
  • Operating a casino, bingo hall, bookmakers, club or fair
  • Providing gaming machines, lotteries or gaming involving the winning of a prize

If you need a licence, we can help you work through the licensing law maze. Our licensing solicitors can help you avoid any pitfalls and negotiate the obstacles that come with new or existing licences.

We can help you with:

  • Premises licences
  • Personal licences
  • Club premises certificates
  • Temporary Event Notices
  • Tables and chairs licences
  • Street trading licences
  • Indoor sports entertainment licences
  • Hackney carriage taxi licence
  • Private hire driver licence
  • Operator’s or fleet operator’s licence
  • Transfer of licences
  • Variation of licences (for example, to extend the terminal hour)
  • Minor variations to licences
  • Food safety matters
  • Disputes under licensing laws

  • Weight and measures matters
  • Compliance with smoking regulations
  • Interim authorities
  • Health and safety
  • Fire safety

Our licensing solicitors can help, in particular, if you are:

  • thinking of taking a lease from a brewer or a pub company
  • applying for a licence for a pub, restaurant or club
  • thinking of applying for a licence to sell alcohol from your shop, supermarket or other premises
  • selling or buying a licensed business as a going concern