I was interested to read the recent case of IX v IY  which considered the question...
We know when running a business, the last thing you need is the trouble of dealing with a dispute. Birkett Long has a dedicated team experienced in providing specialist advice in the wide range of disputes that can arise in relation to both commercial and residential properties.
Whatever your situation, Birkett Long will advise you on the best way of resolving your claim.
A wide range of property disputes can arise in relation to commercial property. Birkett Long acts for a wide range of clients, from large property investors, developers, local authorities, universities and colleges, to those with smaller property portfolios and individual owners and tenants.
We will always look to help you resolve a dispute by negotiation, mediation or alternative dispute resolution where possible.
Here are some of the areas in which we can help:
- Do you want to recover rent arrears?
- Are you looking to forfeit or terminate a lease?
- Do you need to regain possession of commercial property?
- Do you want to renew your business lease?
- Do you need to make any dilapidation claims against tenants?
- Are you facing a service charge dispute?
- Do you need to resolve a dispute regarding a boundary issue?
- Has a seller misrepresented the property which you bought from them?
- Is a buyer claiming you have misrepresented property you have sold to them?
- Have you and a co-owner disagreed as to how to deal with jointly owned property?
- Do you need to remove squatters for your land or buildings?
- Is a local authority attempting to obtain a liability order against you in respect of disputed business rates?
Contact a member of the team, or complete our enquiry form, to discuss how we may be able to help you.
- Thomas Lee
- Trainee Solicitor
- Keith Songhurst
- Partner, Head of South Essex Dispute Resolution Team
- 01206 711384
Birkett Long’s team of experts deals with disputes in the County Court, the High Court, the First-Tier Property Tribunal, the Lands Tribunal and before the Land Registry Adjudicator. The team also deals with complex arbitrations and mediations.
Keith Songhurst is a member of the Property Litigation Association.
Birkett Long has extensive experience dealing with disputes arising out of or involving rural issues, including flooding, agricultural and equestrian property, agricultural tenancies and agricultural commercial disputes.
What our clients say
Keith Songhurst is "client focused, methodical and keen to get things resolved".
Your calm and rational approach was very comforting.
A well-run, organised practice that offers efficiency and friendliness
A long and tortuous 5 year 5 month journey has finally come to an end...I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you all profusely for your professionalism, empathy, skill, wisdom, guidance and advice, without which I could not have stayed the course…[we] are eternally grateful to you and you can be sure that Birkett Long as a firm… will be at the top of my recommendations list.
staff re-order for property disputes
- Keith Songhurst
- John Fawcett