In an earlier blog, called ‘ For how long should spousal maintenance be paid? ’, I...
In layman's terms, a Notary Public is the holder of a public office and a member of a distinct branch of the legal profession.
Notaries take an oath of allegiance to the Archbishop of Canterbury. They authenticate and certify signatures, especially on documents for use abroad. Notaries are authorised to conduct most general legal practice and may also exercise the powers of a Commissioner for Oaths. We are occasionally asked about the difference between a notary public and a Commissioner for Oaths. You can read more about the role of a Commissioner for Oaths on our glossary. Both of Birkett Long's notaries are qualified lawyers and partners of the firm.
A Notary Public is required to :
- Check the identity of the signatory by the production of 'proper documents' (for example, current valid passport, Council tax or electricity bill to confirm their address);
- Attest the signature of the individual involved; and
- Ensure that the document is signed in accordance with English Law and also in accordance with the legal requirements of the country for which the document is required.
At Birkett Long Solicitors we currently have two qualified notaries based in our Chelmsford and Colchester offices. Time is very often of the essence when the services of a notary are required and so we endeavour to have someone available at one of those offices the same day if necessary. A notary is occasionally available at our Basildon office by prior arrangement.
- Dealing with purchase or sale of land and property abroad
- Authenticating company and business documents and transactions
- Preparing and witnessing powers of attorney for use overseas
- Providing documents to deal with the administration of the estate of people who are abroad, or owning property abroad
- Authenticating personal documents and information for immigration or emigration purposes, or to apply to marry or to work abroad.
Contact a notary public
To make an appointment with one of our notaries, please contact email@example.com, or call:
Notary public in Colchester: 01206 217611
Notary public in Chelmsford: 01245 453863
- Peter Allen
- Partner, Head of Commercial Department
- 01206 711302
- Ben Parmenter
- Partner, Head of Wills, Trusts & Probate in Colchester
What our clients say
Many thanks for your help once again! I will definitely choose you in the future should I need help with similar work.