On 8 th July 2020 Chancellor Rishi Sunak, announced in his Summer Statement a “stamp duty...
Planning Future Care
Planning care in later life, for you or for a loved one, can be difficult and emotionally charged. Birkett Long will help by simplifying the journey for you.
We understand the difficulties surrounding the process of arranging care for a family member. Birkett Long has a team of legal experts and, working in tandem with our independent financial advisers, we will help you and your family develop the best long term care plan to suit your needs and wishes.
Navigating your way through the care system can be difficult at the best of times, but when a loved one needs care quickly it is imperative that families know where to turn and what to do, without delay.
There are many aspects of long term care planning. Here are some of the ways in which we can help;
- How does the Care Act impact on your and your family?
- The difference between funding of care at home or in a residential home
- Arranging financial and health assessments
- When is someone eligible for funding for care fees from the Local Authority?
- When is someone eligible for care fees from the NHS (known as NHS continuing healthcare funding)?
- The importance of powers of attorney and what to do if someone has lost capacity but has not made a power of attorney
- Why make a will, and what to do if someone has lost capacity and has not made a will?
- What is the Court of Protection?
- What happens to your property when you receive care at home or go into care?
With the average cost of care in Essex increasing every year, unfortunately doing nothing is simply not an option. Our long term care team has expertise to help you plan ahead and provide immediate advice for you and your family as you go through this difficult journey.
Call us for a free initial chat. We are here to listen and together we will work out what your worries are and what is important to you, and will help make sure these are protected.
What happens if I need long term care?
A solicitor might not be the first person you think of when you are arranging care for a loved one. However, we can often be the best people to speak to.
Thinking about the future can be a daunting prospect. Especially if you or a loved one is thinking about a long term care plan. It may feel overwhelming, not to mention confusing.
Considering long term care triggers lots of questions:
- Who pays for care home fees?
- What if you or your loved one needs help at home?
- What if you or your loved one has long term ill health or a disability?
- Does your loved one need a residential care home, or nursing home?
- How can you ensure loved ones are provided for?
- What if you can no longer manage your own affairs?
There are so many different sources of advice it can feel hard to know where to turn. Talking to a solicitor can help you achieve peace of mind. Because they deal with people planning for or going into care on a daily basis, a solicitor has an overall view of the process and the things that you need to have in order.
Before going into care, you should know if you have your affairs in order, whether you and your family are adequately protected for the future, if your will needs updating, the different ways of funding care, whether you get an allowance, whether you need a lasting power of attorney and whether you are eligible for NHS continuing health care.
Birkett Long simplifies the whole process for you in a “one-stop shop”. After a one hour, fixed fee consultation with us, things should be a lot clearer.
To book your bespoke one to one appointment with Liz, please contact 01206 217364 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Birkett Long IFA can help you look at the best options for funding long term care, visit their website to find out more.
With one of the largest teams in Essex, the team holds members of STEP (the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners) and members of Solicitors for the Elderly.
You Might Also Like
What our clients say
It has been a pleasure dealing with you and we should like to thank you for all your help and for providing us with such a clear, simple, and speedy service over this matter. We feel secure knowing that we have Birkett Long as our solicitors.
I have been a client of Birkett Long for around 20 years. They do what they say they are going to do and they do it well. In a world of sloppy, off-hand "service" they are a breath of fresh air.
Many, many thanks from myself, my father and my brother for all your expert advice. It was very much appreciated during a very difficult time, your sound advice gave us some much needed peace of mind.
Staff re-order for planning future care
- Liz Jones
- Claire Read
- Emma Clarke